Sam Bankman-Fried, the “richest person in crypto” according to Forbes Magazine, is the founder of FTX, a leading exchange for buying and selling crypto derivatives. John Lothian News spoke with him at FIA Expo 2021, where he talked about how the crypto space has grown and changed, crypto versus “traditional finance,” and the latest trends, including NFTs.
The story of FTX is, so far, a short but impressive one. As Brett Harrison tells it, the spot cryptocurrency exchange started only about a year ago. Now FTX does about $400 million in spot volume per day “and growing.” That’s after increasing the company’s user base by 50% in the last quarter.
But in an interview with John Lothian News at FIA Expo 2021, Harrison, the president of FTX, focused on the company’s larger ambitions. He noted that FTX recently acquired CFTC-regulated LedgerX, a clearinghouse and derivatives clearing organization (DCO), that it rebranded as FTX US Derivatives.The platform opens the door for FTX to offer crypto derivatives — futures and options — to its U.S. customers, he said.
Cryptocurrencies are often viewed as the Wild West with very little in the way of law or regulations. If there was one thing the Thursday FIA panel on crypto wanted everyone to know, that is far from the current reality. Significant regulatory obligations exist for those trading cryptocurrencies.
– Crypto edges into the mainstream with Cboe-ErisX acquisition announcement, first-ever bitcoin U.S. ETF debut; SEC’s GameStop study a reflection without regulation;
– John’s Take reviews the data-driven mortgage experience with ICE Mortgage Technology;
– Are you bullish on a stock? The Term of the Week looks at a cash-secured put strategy with Jermal Chandler.
– Stock market volatility continues to chug higher; Energy prices are hot;
– John’s Take walks us through the CFTC’s filing against 14 crypto options businesses;
– A timely look at the VVIX, the volatility of volatility with Russell Rhoads in the Term of the Week.
– Options markets see spike in volatility, but ride out China Evergrande Group’s troubles, Federal Reserve taper expectations;
– John’s Take gives a sneak peek at the FIA IDX 2021 conference and talks about Bryan Harkins and Wall Street Rides FAR;
– What does the VIX Index measure? A tutorial by Russell Rhoads, head of research at EQDerivatives, in the Term of the Week.
The Small Exchange said Thursday it has plans to notice file with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission to list a stock index futures contract based on an index of 17 cryptocurrency-related publicly traded companies.
After a long career in exchange-traded derivatives, Jack Bouroudjian, chairman of the Global Smart Commodity Group, is doing an about-face, turning to blockchain technology and tokenized settlement to facilitate trading.
On Saturday, June 5, President Nayib Bukele of El Salvador announced that he would ask his country’s legislature to declare bitcoin “legal tender” in the country. This statement was part of a pre-recorded presentation to Miami, Florida’s Bitcoin 2021 conference.
In this episode of the CryptoMarketsWiki podcast, Matt and Thom discuss Coinbase’s recent debut as a publicly-traded company, as well as some updates about a company that wants to revitalize the U.S.’s struggling bitcoin mining industry.
Day One of the Eurex Derivatives Forum, held this week on Tuesday and Wednesday, offered a discussion of German developments in blockchain innovation. Germany has implemented not only detailed legislation on custody of cryptocurrencies and digital assets but has also recently adopted a law allowing electronic issuance of securities, including on blockchain.
First Read Hits & Takes John Lothian & JLN Staff What is going on at BOX OPTIONS? We noticed the BOX website no longer lists Ed Boyle and Lisa Fall as CEO and president respectively. JLN reached out to Boyle and he had no comment. Lisa is still listed on the...
Observations & Insight NOTE: In observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday the JLN Options newsletter will not be published on Monday, January, 17. We'll be back on Tuesday, January 18. Have a great weekend! ++++ What is going on at BOX OPTIONS? We noticed...