The Dodd-Frank Act has addressed numerous risks in the financial markets. In this video, Ron Filler, a Professor at New York Law School, says one provision, called gross margining, could alleviate segregated customer account risk, starting in January 2013.*
Gross Margining Resources
- CME Group Advisory Notice: New dates for Customer Gross Margining and LSOC (link)
- Gross Margin on MarketsWiki (link)
- Derivatives Clearing Organizations Regulation on MarketsReformWiki (link)
- Dodd-Frank Act on MarketsReformWiki (link)
- CFTC Final Rule: Customer Clearing Documentation, Timing of Acceptance for Clearing, and Clearing Member Risk Management (link)
- CFTC Final Rule: Investment of Customer Funds by Futures Commission Merchants and Derivatives Clearing Organizations (link)
- Futures Commission Merchant Regulation (link)
- CFTC Final Rule: Derivatives Clearing Organization General Provisions and Core Principles (link)
*Note: Since the filming of this interview, the CFTC extended the implementation date from November 8, 2012 to January 14, 2013. More here.
About the series: In the aftermath of the MF Global collapse, fraud at Peregrine Financial Group and high profile high-frequency trading shocks, John Lothian News asks – how do you restore customer confidence and bring traders back?